Reed M. Keefe
Reed Keefe works in the firm’s key practice areas: complex civil litigation, white collar criminal defense, and securities enforcement. Ms. Keefe clerked for the Honorable Kiyo Matsumoto of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, and for the Honorable Steven Gold, Chief Magistrate Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Notable complex civil matters include:
- representation of a real estate developer in an investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York into alleged Fair Housing Act violations and in related civil litigation;
- representation of a group of hedge funds as plaintiffs in the Middle District of Florida, asserting claims against the former wife of the primary architect of a penny stock manipulation scheme; and
- representation of former Merrill Lynch employees in various litigations involving residential mortgage-backed securities.
Criminal and Securities Enforcement Matters
Notable criminal and securities enforcement matters include:
- representation of a firm and eight of its employees during a multi-year FINRA investigation into its securities trading; FINRA declined to bring any disciplinary action;
- representation of an investment advisor at trial in the Southern District of New York on criminal charges of market manipulation and investment advisor fraud;
- representation of an individual during an insider trading investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey; no charges were brought against the client;
- representation of an individual during violation of supervised release proceedings in federal court; following the sentencing presentation, the client was released early from supervised release obligations; and
- representation of a former employee of a major bank during an SEC investigation of mortgage-backed securities trading; no charges were brought against the client.
• J.D., Columbia University School of Law; Articles Editor, Human Rights Law Review
• Masters of Science, Law and Anthropology, with merit, London School of Economics and Political Science
• B.A., magna cum laude, Brown University
• New York
• Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
• The Honorable Kiyo Matsumoto, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
• The Honorable Steven Gold, Chief Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York